Thursday, May 15, 2008

Solved problem: date format variance in MSSQL

Here's another problem I encountered in Microsoft SQL.

Hence I work for an international organization, different countries use different date formats therefore my applications should be flexible to handle different date formats.

when I change my date format at MS Windows regional settings from MM/dd/yyyy to dd/MM/yyy, all applications with date formats following windows settings should all change, especially Microsoft products.

As I check, all dates in the database changed but unfortunately, query does not. Query to MSSQL still reverts and uses MM/dd/yyyy. That's why I had problems with my applications. Its the engine's fault! I solved the problem by converting the date I passed on a SQL statement to the date format that the query uses.

This is why I hate Microsoft. Unfortunately I'm bound to my org's standards.

No comments: