Thursday, May 15, 2008

Solved problem: MSSQL can't be accessed by another host

I had another problem with Microsoft SQL. ODBC on my MS Windows XP can be accessed thru localhost but not by another host. My database is hosted on a PC/Server and should be accessed by another host on a network/environment.

ODBC / DSN error message:
Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 53
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).
Connection failed:
SQLState: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Duh?? What the?? I'm an expert but Microsoft sure knows how to make you dumb!
I already considered XP firewall settings, turned everything off.. I already have done almost all solutions found in the forums, including removing registry entries.

You know what fixed the prob? Simply add TCP port 445 on XP firewall advanced local area connection settings services. Port 445 is used by Windows for SMB over TCP.

Microsoft should consider commonly encountered problems and make easier solutions.

Compared to Interbase and MySQL, Microsoft SQL sucks! ....as always.

No comments: